Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook ♦ Time: 20 minutes ♦ Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 mushroom)
I made these one night when my husband was out of town… I try not to subject him to the vegetarian meals until I know that I like them. I would definitely subject him to this one.
The large portobellos were a little scary looking (at the grocery store), so I went with the mediums. It worked out just fine.
I had Italian seasoned bread crumbs, so I used those instead of whole-grain. I also added some red pepper, just to give it even more veggie power.
Fontina cheese is very creamy. I think you could get away with a good mozzarella here as well.
I was really happy with these! I thought it was very yummy and super filling. I had two mediums stuffed caps and was… STUFFED!
Mushrooms are rich protein, potassium, and folate.
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup fresh whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Place mushroom caps, gill sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with oil and vinegar, and season with salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bake until caps are just tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine tomato, olives, breadcrumbs, cheese, and chives in a medium bowl. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
4. Divide tomato mixture evenly (about 1/2 cup per mushroom) among portobello caps. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and mushrooms are tender. Serve hot.
I had way more than enough stuffing left over, so I got creative with it.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
The stuffed peppers were my favorite. I boiled the peppers for a couple minutes, just to make them a little softer, then I baked them in the oven for 10-12 minutes, as above.
Vegetarian Stuffed Sweet Potato
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe and if you try any other alternatives!