As Summer turns to Fall, I start thinking about jeans & sweatshirts and chili & homemade soups!
What You Need:
- 5 cups chicken broth (vegetable or beef can also be used)
- 1 cup white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, halved and thickly sliced
- ½ small onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix
- 1 can diced Italian style tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp rubbed sage
- ½ tsp dry rosemary
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tbsp red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottle)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, start by sauteing zucchini, onions, garlic, celery, and cabbage with olive oil and thyme sprigs, stirring frequently
- Once vegetables begin to soften and brown slightly add chicken broth and canned tomatoes.
- Next add all dry spices, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Lastly, add frozen broccoli and cauliflower mix.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.
There was not a link attached to this pin.
I added a few more veggies than was called for… 🙂 I love veggies! I also used fresh broccoli and cauliflower, and sauteed them with the rest of the vegetables.
And I really think that the spices should be added to the vegetables while sauteing, as they were slightly flavorless in the soup – maybe do half during saute and half after.