I have this great app: How to Cook Everything.
I needed a go to meal the other night… I wanted grilled cheese and tomato soup, except I didn’t have any tomato soup. I did, however, have tomatoes. So I thought, I’ll just make tomato soup. So I pulled up the app and voila! Tomato Soup! With lots of variations as well. I suggest checking out the app if you don’t already have it.
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 1 Carrot, diced
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Cups Peeled, Seeded, & Chopped Tomato (canned is fine-include the juices)
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves or 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Basil Leaves
- 2 to 3 Cups Chicken, Beef, or Vegetable Stock or Water
- 1 Tsp Sugar (optional)
- Chopped Fresh Parsley or Basil Leaves to Garnish (optional)
- Put the oil in a large, deep pot over medium heat.
- When hot, add the tomato paste and let it cook for a minute, then add the onion and carrot.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and the herb and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato breaks up, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir, and cook until hot, then adjust the heat and simmer until the flavors meld, about 5 minutes (you can refrigerate at this point, stored covered, for up to 2 days).
- Taste and adjust the seasoning: if the soup tastes flat, stir in the sugar.
- If the mix is too thick, add a little more stock or water.
- Garnish with the herbs and serve.
I used three vine ripe tomatoes. I added more tomato paste and did add the sugar. I also used both thyme and basil (more basil bc I just love it!). I used 2 cups of chicken broth, did not add the carrots. I garnished with parmesan cheese.
The product was a chunky tomato soup, with good flavor. I liked it a lot.
Next time I will puree the tomatoes before I put them into the pot, bc I don’t think my husband enjoys the chunky tomatoes.